March 17, 2014

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

When a chicken dish has 400+ reviews AND can be make on a weeknight AND doesn't involve bread crumbs or frying - I'm sold!  I found this recipe on Food Network, and it struck me as a coq au vin with a different flavor profile.  And since I had some chicken legs and thighs defrosting, it was the perfect way to change up a chicken dinner!



I made this chicken dish with some wild rice and roasted brussels sprouts for a fantastic meal.  However, I did make some changes, so let me walk you through it.  First off - I halved the recipe and therefore used 20 cloves of garlic and half the sauce.  Most grocery stores now sell tubs of peeled garlic - trust me - it's sooo much easier.  Secondly, I did 1/4 cup wine and 1/2 cup of chicken broth.  (I found a "chicken broth with white wine and herbs" at the grocery store - LOVE IT!)  And the reason I subbed out some of the wine was because 1) I was planning on drinking it and 2) I wanted to use up the half box of broth in the fridge.  I sauteed up in the oil and then while it simmered, I went ahead and made the sides and took that half hour to clean up the kitchen, catch some news on TV, and do a load of laundry.  The flavor was fantastic - light, rich, and not overwhelming with garlic.  Easy and fast to make, but definitely can be done for company!  (And flexible... winner!)

No comments:

Post a Comment