April 21, 2013

Random Saturday Night Salad

I had big plans Saturday night.  With my dog, a bottle of wine, a good book and a plan of doing a self-pedicure, taking a long bath, and enjoying total relaxation for a change.  So I figured I'd make a great salad and then have some leftovers for lunch on Monday to bring to work.  I came across the recipe below and quickly emailed it off to Jenn saying "going to try this out tonight, doesn't it look awesome?"  I got a quick response "oh my god, yes, we need to try that for the blog!"  Then I wrote back "have any dinner plans tonight?" and my evening of staying home alone and relaxing quickly changed course to a last minute fabulous night with my partners in crime!  (And I left Ozzy at home!  But before you judge, I sliced up a nice steak for him before I left!)
 
Grilled Peppercorn Steak and Caramelized Pecan Salad with Cabernet-Cherry Vinaigrette
 
 
 
We added some freshly made garlic bread, and then boiled some cut up potatoes and sautéed them in that new Land O'Lakes Cooking Spread "stuff" that they sell near the butter.  (FYI - those things are amazing... can't wait to play around with them!!!)
 
The salad was insane.  I am personally a die-hard fan of "petite sirloin" steaks.  Mostly because you can get them really cheap when they are on sale, and they are basically perfect individual portions!  The marinade is fabulous, although I used Dijon, and I used a mortar and pestle to crack whole peppercorns.  There wasn't as much of a pepper-ish taste as I was expecting - maybe I should have crushed them more.  We also used a box of "herb salad mix" from Stew's, and that was perfection. 
 
Side note - Port.  I picked up a "Bogle Petit Sirah Port" because their normal Petite Sirah is quite possibly my favorite "everyday" wine on the planet.  (For under $12/bottle, folks!)  The port was just ok.  It was more of a dessert wine than a port - very sweet.  But for the price, a great cooking port!
 
So anywho... that was Saturday night.  And there's leftover steak for me to bring to work on Monday!  (Except I'll substitute a bottle of Raspberry Pecan Vinaigrette for the Cabernet Vinaigrette... it is a workday, after all!)

No comments:

Post a Comment