February 7, 2014

Braised Short Ribs with Penne

You guys are getting three total posts today!  Uh huh... it's like Christmas.

Okay, so there was this package of short ribs in my freezer that needed to be used up and it was a cold Sunday which means I had plenty of time to cook a dinner.  Usually I make braised short ribs, but let's be honest - they can be kind of greasy and fatty.  So when I was combing the Food Network, I found a Giada recipe that involved braising the short ribs, but then pulling them and making them into a pasta... see below:



Okay, so if you're slightly food snobbish like me, you will look at this recipe and think to yourself "what's so special about this?"  Stop those thoughts, go to the grocery store, and do this!  Let me put it this way... my extremely picky straight-from-Italy boyfriend literally wrote on Facebook "the best pasta ever."

The method is fairly straightforward, but can be slightly modified.  You can either do it stovetop, oven, or in the Crock Pot.  I did it on the stove the entire time (on low) in my new dutch oven.  I don't think it really makes a difference how you cook it - it's all about the low and slow.

Secondly, I used homemade tomato sauce instead of the Roma tomatoes.  (And when I say homemade, I mean its simply pureed tomatoes by hand that is jarred with some basil.)  This is what probably kept me from having to puree it in a food processor.  I skipped that part entirely.  Brown, sauce, simmer.  Remove meat, shred, add back to sauce and then add cooked penne and stir it like crazy.

I'm not sure what exactly makes this such a home run.  Perhaps its the mixture of tomato/wine/beef broth?  Or the mustard gives it a special something?  It seems like such basic ingredients, but seriously - the best pasta I have ever made.  (And you can probably do it with any type of meat or roast, since in the end, you shred it off the bone???)

No comments:

Post a Comment