February 23, 2014

Eggplant Parmesan

Good morning, everyone!  I wanted to throw on a quick post from a weeknight meal we had!  I've never been a huge fan of eggplant, but then I've also never really tried it, so that's just me being a food snob.  So Tony loves it, and I grabbed some while grocery shopping and we figured what the hell?  I mean, at first, I was trying to convince myself that it was "being healthy" but then let's be serious - fried eggplant covered in cheese?  How is that healthy?  That's ok, summer is still a while away, I have time!  

Let's get started...



Slice up your eggplant, drench in flour, coat in egg, and fry!  A few things...  First - I've always thought the eggplant was cut into circles, but I wasn't in charge of slicing it up - so I guess there's no need to be so OCD.  Secondly - I don't really think it's important if your flour or egg first.  I originally thought my sous chef was intending to flour/egg/flour again but he skipped the second flouring part and it turned out just fine!



First picture is the good stuff!  Freshly shredded parmesan and sliced fresh mozzarella!  Not the mozzarella in a vaccuum sealed wrapper - the stuff from the olive bar section of the grocery store.  And for the tomato sauce - T's family jars their own tomato sauce.  It's simply crushed tomatoes and basil.  So we saute up onions and garlic, add the tomato sauce and just let it cook.  Simple as that.  So start your layering - eggplant, sauce, parmesan, mozzarella, repeat.  And just bake until everything is melty and brown.



The pictures are a little blurry, so I apologize.  But this was delicious!!!  You cannot go wrong!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment